If you are a follower of my blog (thank you!) then you are aware that I'm married to a certified nerd, and I mean that in a loving way.
But what makes him a nerd? This is what comes to my mind although the list is not inclusive
- He was in mostly AP classes in high school
- He went to a super nerdy college, Harvey Mudd (if you have ever seen the movie "Real Genius" it was kinda like that...If you haven't seen the movie, shame on you..it rocks!)....this clip is from the movie & totally sums up campus life on Mudd
- He has his PhD in Electrical Engineering
- He loves video games
- If need be, he can make his own tools that are functional
- Whenever he comes across a flaw in something electrical we own he almost always says "bad design"
- It can take him months researching a product online before he makes a purchase...this can range from a wrist watch to a car
- He is someone who many people tend to defer, acknowledge, or concede is the smartest in the room
So why in the hell is he married to me?
Yeah, over the past 20 years I have asked myself that exact question. A lot.
Seriously, if I had known how smart he is, I would have most likely passed on pursuing him in college. In case you didn't catch that, I pursued him! I just thought he was a reasonably smart (because of going to Harvey Mudd) and absolutely good looking. I'm someone who has always had good self esteem and am pretty dang confident. Even so, once I knew (and heard!) how smart he was, I spent a fair bit of time wondering if I could keep his interest beyond having sex.
What I have come to understand is that he is one of the happiest married people I know, and believe me when I say that it is not all due to me being a sex educator. In fact, we are a extremely confusing couple to many, but that is a whole other blog post. There is something about attending Harvey Mudd College that makes people particularly good at marriage.
Don't believe me? Here is a excerpt from a fairly recent US News and World Report on "The 10 Best Colleges to Find a Husband". Harvey Mudd came in at number 6, which is funny because it is the exact same number I came in as the Top 100 sex bloggers!
Here is what the report had to say about Harvery Mudd
#6 Harvey Mudd (Claremont, California)
Harvey Mudd is another top liberal arts school located in sunny California. In addition to the outdoor lifestyle and SoCal climate, Harvey Mudd made the college hubby cheat sheet thanks to its successful grads earning an average of $121,000 mid-career (most find success in the fields of science, engineering or math). Many exams are of the take-home variety and are overseen by an honor code—so maybe HM breeds more honest, reliable guys? Now there’s a theory worth analyzing.
Oh yeah, about that honor code thing--my husband was the student chair when we began dating.
I recently had lunch with a friend who I met while I was dating my husband in college. She and her boyfriend were also "Mudders" who began dating around the same time me and my hubby did. In addition to that, both of our now husbands have the same first name and actually lived together as suite mates. She is now living in the same area as me and still happily married. I love being able to hang out with her because I feel like less of a freak for having settled down at such an early age. I'm also happy to hear that at least 2 other "Mudder" couples from our time got and remain married.
I personally feel that nerds are happiest when they are partnered. There isn't a lot of game playing going on, posturing, and/or they never seem like they are on the lookout for something or someone better. Yes, this is a total generalization, but it is also my experience. Simply put, nerds take delight in knowing they won't have to be out in the dating field again.
Back when I first started this blog, I did an article about why nerds make good life partners. You can check it out here (it has a lot of the same content found here).
I wholeheartedly believe that nerds (and specifically those who attended Harvery Mudd College) are particularly well suited for marriage, and here are a few reasons:
- Nerds & Geeks are usually loyal and aren't afraid of monogamy! People who are often referred to as nerds and geeks are overwhelmingly introverted and you will not often catch them hanging out at nightclubs and bars. They might be a little socially awkward, but that just means that you will be the center of their attention when out and about. As an added bonus, geeks and nerds are also known to be both sensitive and sincere individuals.
- Nerds & Geeks appreciate you! This may not always translate into super romantic behavior, but you feel how grateful they are to be happily paired up.
- Nerds & Geeks often have had fewer sex partners which means they are less likely to have picked up a STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) by engaging in casual sex. Sexuality can be a difficult topic of discussion for nerds & geeks. They might feel insecure that they will not be able to sexually satisfy you, that their body doesn't look how they would like it to look, etc., but here is the secret.....most nerds & geeks are very willing to experiment sexually when they are in a loving and trusting relationship.
- Nerds & Geeks are often hugely smart and intelligent! You know how they say "beauty fades, but stupid is forever?" Well, this is something you never have to worry about when your partner is super smart. On a side note, nerds & geeks are also known for being passionate about something. And as we know, passion = sexy!
- Nerds & Geeks are handy and fix things around the house. Enough said.
So what are you waiting for? Have you loved a nerd today?