So you may have noticed that my blogging has decreased a bit over the past several weeks. It's not that I've been extraordinarily busy or sick. It is because I've been dealing with a huge betrayal from a former friend. Yes folks, betrayal, just like my former friend, is a real bitch!
What makes my particular case so difficult is that this friend was also providing a vital service for my emerging business. People always say you should never do business with friends, and I have to say that I have learned my lesson the hard way. After all, who better TO give my business to then a friend, right?
What I have come to learn is that I paid a hefty price for my poor business decision. Essentially, I paid this person well over $1500, gave them numerous time allowances when work wasn't completed on time, and completed a job I paid THEM to do only to find out that I was royally screwed in the end. How screwed you ask? Well, let me put it this way, I feel like I was anally penetrated (and paid for it!) without the benefit of lubrication. Yes, this is quite the visual, but it is seriously how I feel.
Of course hindsight is 20/20, and I was well aware of the numerous cracks in the working relationship. Keep in mind that not only were we engaged in a professional relationship where I was the client, but we had also been friends for many years.
What weirds me out the most is how someone who was supposed to be helping me and my business could end up acting like such a childish and unprofessional prick. It's as if this person's snarky comments became more frequent as my business became more visible and successful.
A few of the comments I remember are:
"I can't believe you have more twitter followers and fans on your facebook page then I do!"
"I used to be the darling of the bunch, and now it's you, and I don't like that!"
Clearly, this person has A LOT to learn about how to treat your friends and a bigger lesson to learn about how to treat your existing clients!
In fact, it was only after I decided to end our professional relationship that this person turned around and made the sole decision to place our friendship "on hold". Omg, seriously, who does that? It sounds like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum. It is so incredibly NOT cool, that after separating from them on a professional basis, I had zero desire to continue the personal relationship.
This is what I know about the situation:
- I was the unhappy client who decided to end the professional relationship for many reasons
- This person turned around and decided to place our friendship "on hold"
- This person was the sole individual who, whether intentionally or not, jammed up the end product (that I paid for) so that it was near impossible for anyone else to work with the product
- This person also pretended like my requests to release my product (that I paid for) were never made so, in all, the transfer of the product took several weeks instead of days
- The end product this person delivered for me what so patently messed up and difficult to work with that my new provider ended up building me a brand new product...All I'm saying is the word "intentionally sabotaged" came up, and not from me
- This person is a vindictive little prick who appears to be mentally and professionally unstable
- This person appears to have a penchant towards playing the victim, and an even scarier litigious personality
The entire experience hasn't been all bad, though. I have learned that I have many more friends and allies then I thought. Sadly, I have also learned that this person has had difficult professional relationships with others. On one hand, I feel better knowing it is not just me that was screwed (since it feels so, so personal), but I also feel like I really want to warn others of this person's poor business practices.
In the end, I know that I am much more stronger for going through this. I know some of my friends are eager to see me move forward from my obvious bitterness. However, I think I needed to sit with the emotions for awhile.
I'm not gonna lie to you though, it feels damn good to vent like this!
Betrayal, like my former friend, is a bitch, and I bet they think this blog is about them!